by Carin

I went for weekly blood tests waiting for my numbers to get back below 2 so I could start the IVF process. Initially it dropped quickly; 26,498 to 18,482, to 481. I started going every two weeks figuring that it would drop that much faster in between tests. It seemed to take forever! Seventy-four, 19, 4, THREE! Finally in August, a whole three months after the miscarriage, I was back to negative.

The next issue was what to do about this still-growing cyst. The RE wouldn’t start any treatment until the oncologist cleared me. The oncologist wouldn’t clear me until he knew what the cyst was. Then, of course, there was the issue of my septated uterus. Did I not mention that before? Yes, there was a septum in my uterus making it heart shaped. Supposedly that would not have caused the miscarriages but it didn’t help me with getting pregnant either. The final consensus was that I would have surgery to remove the cyst. Both the oncologist and the RE would be there. The oncologist would work on my abdomen while the RE would remove the septum.

I was scheduled for surgery in October 2006. I had fasted and drank as much of that horrible Phospho-soda as I could before giving up so I wouldn’t vomit. Wouldn’t you know it, I got my period that morning. I went to the hospital and was all ready when my doctor came in and told me the surgery would have to be postponed because of my period. “It would be too hard to see,” he said. After leaving and eating a huge breakfast, I went home and re-scheduled the surgery for the week of Thanksgiving.

It turned out the cyst was an endometrioma. Totally benign and caused by all the build up of endometriosis that the RE had to remove. The cyst was stretched, attached on one end to the ovary and the other end to the uterine wall. They had to do a full laparatomy in order to remove it. So basically I had a C-section with no baby to hold afterwards. The surgery left me with only a small portion of my right ovary. Hopefully the eggs in there were still viable (they are, right!).